Destiny Guild
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Destiny Guild

Destiny Guild Forum

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Luna Online . . . first impressions

Go down 
+4
Toothfairy
Belletrice
HeavenHealer
Yvain
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Yvain

Yvain

Luna Online . . . first impressions Empty
PostSubject: Luna Online . . . first impressions   Luna Online . . . first impressions EmptyMon Jun 22, 2009 2:17 pm

Hey everybody! You probably haven't seen me online in Rappelz much recently (errrr . . . at all really, since the exp event). I've been busy with some other stuff in real life. I've also been playing Combat Arms (a fun online FPS) and . . . LUNA!

(Feel free to laugh at me)

Ok, now that that's out there, I'd like you guys to give this game a try. I know some of you already have, and it's great to just wander around and see someone you know from Destiny Very Happy. Soooooo . . . here's why I think you all should try Luna, with comparisons to Rappelz about what makes it great, and, well, not so great.

Graphics/presentation:

The first thing you have to get past before you can even play Luna is its ridiculously cutesy-cheesy-cutesy-cutesiness. It totally reeks of cute everywhere you go, from the website to the characters to the monsters, and everywhere in between.

That being said, there's a lot this game has to offer in terms of graphical content. While some may see the cutesiness as a fault, it actually gives the game a personality and makes it entertaining for that reason alone. I've never seen a game this adorable before, and so many silly little things make me giggle like a little girl (feel free to laugh again). I think the characters and the costumes are adorable, and there's so many different little actions and emotes you can do.

Like . . .

Hello!

Luna Online . . . first impressions Luna02090614021318001

or . . .

I'm a ballerina!

Luna Online . . . first impressions Luna02090614021523001

Anywho, the graphics are simply adorable (that's one of my characters, btw ^^). The animations are smooth and most of the textures look decent. They are not nearly as advanced as Rappelz, so don't expect to be wowed by any massive visuals. There's also several different outfits, and although they eventually repeat themselves, there's lots of variety.

My only real problem with the game's graphics is the resolutions it lets you run it in. You can only run in standard resolutions (as in no widescreen) and there's only 3 available options (can't remember the numbers off the top of my head). Also, I can't alt+tab or windows key out of the game if it's in fullscreen mode. If I want to do something else, I have to log out and log back in.

As much as I love the adorable graphics, I'd have to go with Rappelz as a winner here because I wish I could play the game in 1440x900 (or if windows would properly recognize my new monitor, 1920x1080 . . . hehehehe) resolution.

Servers/online-ness:

There's only 2 servers for Luna . . . possibly because the game is still in open beta. However, there's 4 channels to each server for every location (unlike Rappelz where only noob island has multiple channels). Each channel will give its status when you log on to the server (but that status is only for the location you are in). This feature is really handy for a few reasons - if you want to run through Alker Harbor without lagging to death, you can just log into channel 2, 3, or 4 . . . if only Rappelz had this feature when I'm in Rondo. Also, if a boss you need for a quest was just killed, switch channels. You will most likely find the boss alive in one of the four channels Smile.

The only real laggy place I've encountered is the middle of Alker Harbor, where everyone sets up their afk stalls. Because the graphics aren't terribly complex, graphic lag is virtually nonexistent.

The interactions available are great with all the little character actions you can do. There's "date dungeons" you can do with a partner, and to be honest I've never done one and I really don't know very much about them.

Partying is not that common and not that necessary. There are plenty of quests that will take you up to about level 40 (maybe past, I haven't gotten that far yet). There's a place for 40+ (I think) people to party, and I guess it's something that you do at higher levels, but again, I don't really know.

Because parties are somewhat unnecessary, full-support characters are also rather unnecessary early on. Most characters can fend for themselves well enough though.

Overall, I'd probably give this one to Luna. Partying I found to be more of a hassle than an enjoyment for the most part, and duoing/trioing in Luna is really easy. Plus, the "channel surfing" ability is so useful. Just go to the character selection screen, log back in, and pick a new channel.

Gameplay/control:

The controls are very similar to Rappelz - click to move, etc. You can set it up either with the number keys as your hotkeys and enter to chat, or you can switch to the F1-12 keys as hotkeys with instant chat. There's many less skillbars available at once than Rappelz, but there's also less skills that need to be on the skillbars.

I absolutely love the gameplay. It's a pretty simple hack and slash for the most part, but it has some great, complex elements. First of all, you get to assign your stats every time you level (like str, vit, dex, etc.) In Rappelz, it was nice that you could switch builds whenever you want. However, you could take on any build at any time. In Luna, your character is how you make it. You want to go pure strength? Then go ahead and be an uber-dd. You want lots of hp? Go full vit and watch mobs attempt to damage you. I think it gives your character more personality that they can't just be like everyone else with a quick presto-change-o of stones/rings. Also, you really have to choose where you put your skill points. There's not a huge list of skills, but the list is pretty large and really expands past level 75. Unlike Rappelz, your skill points have a limit so you can't just max out every skill. Again, it gives your character more personality because you have a set of skills that defines you. The best thing I can compare it to is the talent system in WoW . . . but regardless, I think it makes you care more about what you do with your character as opposed to the Rappelz way "who cares, you're going to max all the skills anyway".

I think the best part of character building is the awesome class system (somewhat reminds me of SD3 if you've ever played it Razz). You start out as either a mage, rogue, or fighter. At level 20, you pick one of two more specialized classes to become. As easy examples, fighters can become guards (defense based) or warriors (offense based); mages can become wizards (dds) or clerics (support); rogues can become ruffians (daggers) or voyagers (I think that's the name - they're bow-users). You get to pick new classes at level 40, 75, 105, and somewhere between 120-135 (nobody really knows for sure yet). As you add new classes, you get new abilities or can further old ones. You can continue to add classes that focus on the same thing (like fighter>guard>infantryman>phalanx are all really defensive classes) or you can hybridize to get the best abilities from several classes. This also means that two people can be the same class but be completely different. For example:

A level 75 rune knight could be a full vit, sword/shield using character who went fighter>guard>infantryman>rune knight with lots of AoE/area threat and defense skills. A level 75 rune knight could also be a full str, 2h axe using character who went fighter>warrior>swordsman>rune knight, with a few really powerful single hit and AoE damage attacks but very little defense.

To me, it's all about being able to give my character personality and build the character I want, not the character the game wants me to have.

Aside from that, the combat is fun, the quests keep you moving forward, and there's plenty of options for gear. There's npc sets (yes, sets that give set bonuses!) available every 5 levels up to level 50, and there's magic ones at other intervals (not quite sure the intervals) but it seems you could get a new set every 1-3 levels if you really wanted.

There's no handy teleporter like in Rappelz, but there are teleport scrolls. The game is divided into similar-sized maps, so there's not too much going on at any given place (except Alker Harbor). There's a great tutorial and a good noob zone to get acquainted with the game. There's also lots of friendly people in game and on the forums.

There's no mounts, sadly, but there are movement-increasing potions. There's also movement-increasing equips available at level 25 and 50 that you get through npc quests.

Currently (possibly because it's still open beta) there's great level-up gifts that give nice things like movespeed potions and travel scrolls. The cash shop normally sells things like travel scrolls, warehouse expansions, and inventory expansions, which are all incredibly useful. Speaking of which . . .

The character inventory is somewhat limiting (like the Diablo II inventory), with a limited number of spaces for items. The warehouse is also pretty limited. You can buy an extra warehouse space for 100,000 gold (not that hard to get once you're level 20+), but more warehouse space or inventory space can only be gotten through the cash shop. Just make a warehouse alt to take full stacks and you won't be able to grumble too much ^^.

Ummmmmm . . . there's also a great system for crafting and upgrading equipment that allows you to make your own stuff and be proud that you made it (it says who the creator/enchanter is). Plus, player-made equipment is superior to store-bought equipment.

The only other thing I can think of right now is that you have to use skills on max level, which kinda sucks. But in the grand scheme of things, it's not a huge issue. Just remember that when you're buying skills.

If you have any questions, please ask! I'd really love to see some of you in-game. It's a very fun and exciting game and I hope some of you join! Smile

A few more random screenies:

Coriander meets Oregano! Yay for spices!!!

Luna Online . . . first impressions Luna02090614195754001

Messing with people is always entertaining Smile

Luna Online . . . first impressions Luna02090614211040001

Enjoy!

Coriander, 3x full-vit guard
Allanon, 3x full-int wizard
Crescent Server
Back to top Go down
HeavenHealer
fail
fail

Character Sheet
Level: 122
Class: Champion Champion
PvP Rating:
Luna Online . . . first impressions Left_bar_bleue50/300Luna Online . . . first impressions Empty_bar_bleue  (50/300)

PostSubject: Re: Luna Online . . . first impressions   Luna Online . . . first impressions EmptyMon Jun 22, 2009 3:30 pm

Wow... you have 2 lvl30 chars =o
i have a lvl 26 Wizard and even that...is a little too much

let me ask you something though : is the kill timer / time played timer new for each char you make? because my hours played are close to 2000 now
and second - you picked a girl char?? the guys in the game are cute just as much as girls silent

i dont want to burst your bubble and all, Luna is not bad at all, it has a lot more content, like the dating - fighting mobs thing, like the fishing, farm , etc
but .... there is no mount, going from harbor to tarintus and so on, takes 10 mins, its so slow, even with wings and a wind pot you move so slow
sometimes i just give up on the way.. its annoying
and.... the quests you get are basically "kill 20 zombies" "ok now kill 20 zombies and 10 wolves" "ok kill 20 zombies"
you get a lot of quests to do the same thing, over and over again, one after the other so youre in a constant GRIND mode, you run back n forth
and basically each map gives you a set of "go to that NPC" "OK go back to first NPC" "go give this to second npc" x______________x

costumes rock, you can get a lot of them as drop items when you farm, theyre timed though, you can get some of the rare cat ones and etc
as drops too, so thats neat.
my problem is that you get a new set of gear : armor, boots, gloves, helm, weapon EVERY 5 LEVELS and im still using my lvl 20
armor at 26 and my lvl 5 staff because its a rare drop.. its kinda lame
(not to mention ive tried to reinforce probably close to 60-70 stones and about 55-60 failed, the rate is so much lower than rappelz)

meh.. like you said - theres no such thing as a party in Luna unless you party with friends, you cant even SEE stats of people in your party
unless theyre on the same map, but you CAN see their level if they are, thats nice.

classes being able to manage alone = NOT true,i cant tell you how many times my mage died trying to kill bosses alone before
i had to get Antje to tank for me, its not possible for a mage to kill a boss even with kiting before level 20, now that im 26
im easily killing level 25-27 bosses by running away, freezing, slowing, DoT dmg, etc etc(all Wizard skills)

if you ever see Antje in game again ill likely be close by, but anyhow --- Tropical lvl 26 Wizard on crescent

EDIT: the inventory is horrible, you get 60 slots AND THATS IT, once youre full, you are unable to get drops. and you need to run out of your place back to the WH and pray you have enough room in your 30 slot WH to actually put the junk you get, or you have to NPC it = more slow running Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Yvain

Yvain

PostSubject: Re: Luna Online . . . first impressions   Luna Online . . . first impressions EmptyMon Jun 22, 2009 3:46 pm

I had lots of free time in my week off work and really didn't feel like playing Rappelz, so . . . Razz

Yes, it is a lot of grind, that's how all mmos are, that's kinda something you'll have to get used to. The thing is whether or not that grind is enjoyable, and whether or not there's enough variety and reason to grind. So far, it's much more motivating than Rappelz. In the time it takes for me to level on Rappelz (with ss) I could probably take both my chars to 40 and one more :/.

The kill counter and timer is new for each player. I haven't bothered to pay attention to what the intervals are, but no matter how new you are the crystals seem to pop up relatively frequently.

I have a guy char and a girl char, and both are awesome ^^. I just forgot to take screenies of my mage.

If you want to go to Tarintus faster, warp to Zakandia, then run over. The 20% and 35% movespeed potions stack, also.

The quests are very repetitive, unfortunately. There are even some "repeatable quests". However, if you get a few of these, make a party with other people in the area doing the same quests and go kill stuff, you will gain tons of exp. I had quests for some golems and some orcs in MoonBlind Forest and while I was killing orcs my party members were getting me credit for the golems Smile.

You don't have to use the new set of gear every time. It's not always advisable anyway. I'm level 36 with my guard and still using my level 27 set because I'm not a huge fan of how the other sets look lol. My sword is the level 30 one because it's expensive to make new ones. And there's nothing wrong with your level 5 staff, either. If you see me in-game, feel free to pm me and ill give you a good one I found as a gift Smile.

The reinforcing system is rather hard to use before level 40-ish. You need LOTS of gems to make it work. Apparently, if you try to reinforce with less than 10 gems, your chances of failure are pretty high. If you use 100, you have the best possible success chance and the chance to get the highest possible bonus. It's probably not worth doing earlier than that unless you get some really pimp red/purple rarity item.

And sub-level 20 classes are hard to boss solo with unless they're vit or dex-based fighters/rogues. You have to get creative. I had a hard time too with my mage, but it's pretty easy now as a wizard - I curse the boss, envenom, fire dot (can't remember the name), and use fireball.

And don't be afraid to use potions, you get plenty of them through the quests.

My goal here is not to make this game seem flawless - indeed it isn't - but that I think that it (so far) is more entertaining than Rappelz will be for me. I also want people to try it without immediately dismissing it just because it looks cutesy and childish. If you can get past that, I think you might enjoy it. There's a lot to figure out about this game and a lot of little nuances that make it very fun.
Back to top Go down
HeavenHealer
fail
fail

Character Sheet
PvP Rating:
Luna Online . . . first impressions Left_bar_bleue50/300Luna Online . . . first impressions Empty_bar_bleue  (50/300)

PostSubject: Re: Luna Online . . . first impressions   Luna Online . . . first impressions EmptyMon Jun 22, 2009 6:45 pm

i solo bosses with kiting, spamming potions and heals on myself, and using lots of spams
it works for now

the grinding is much worse than rappelz, in rappelz you can dp, you can hang in town, you can play the market a bit, you can quad or
duel etc, pvp , siege
battle in luna is pvp but it sucks, i battled fighter classes they slaughtered me, i have no way of even hitting them before they basically
rape my 600 hp...(and needless to say i pretty much rape any other mage class ) the balance is unfair.
its easier leveling at first but it gets harder later on, of course you can gain 10 level from 30 to 40 easier than a level on a lvl 115 char,that
works for rappelz too, you obviously can level from 30 to 40 in 2-4 hours on ss or with HLP

i have no idea what youre talking about with the stones, im lucky enough to get 10 pieces and make a full stone out of them
i ALWAYS try to reinforce a single full stone or 2 full stones, the desc. even says you cant reinforce more than 2 at the same time?
and they do WORK , i have +9mp i have +5 hp etc , but they have a 90% fail rate or something similar
i dont see why you wouldnt do that at lvl 20, it helped my mp tons and helps my hp and i play the game for fun i dont plan on getting high level

i know youre trying to get people to play the game, but basically its been talked about for a while, i can name 5 destiny people that already play
other than you me and annette, but its not even close to rappelz, imo its a nice cute game, it has the adorable effect for sure and some
things are really cool like the class choice and so on but it still doesnt beat rappelz.

btw , im all out of movement pots, and all out of return scrolls, and im sure you noticed you dont get any return scrolls in this game, you have to "make" them and im not going to bother making 1 scroll every 10 stones? or i dont even know how many stones you need, its just too ... troublesome
Back to top Go down
Belletrice
Loves Bez
Belletrice

Character Sheet
Level: 124
Class: Bishop Bishop
PvP Rating:
Luna Online . . . first impressions Left_bar_bleue1/1Luna Online . . . first impressions Empty_bar_bleue  (1/1)

PostSubject: Re: Luna Online . . . first impressions   Luna Online . . . first impressions EmptyTue Jun 23, 2009 3:16 am

x_x everytime i see luna i feel like i've been punched by a bunny
Back to top Go down
HeavenHealer
fail
fail

Character Sheet
PvP Rating:

PostSubject: Re: Luna Online . . . first impressions   Luna Online . . . first impressions EmptyTue Jun 23, 2009 3:35 am

its really cute once youre actually inside, and you get a cute char and it has cute actions, like that kiss thing and hugging and dancing

Luna Online . . . first impressions Luna02090611181734001

Luna Online . . . first impressions Luna02090611181729001
Back to top Go down
Toothfairy
Guildbogey
Guildbogey
Toothfairy

Character Sheet
Level: 12x
Class: Evoker Evoker
PvP Rating:

PostSubject: Re: Luna Online . . . first impressions   Luna Online . . . first impressions EmptyTue Jun 23, 2009 3:43 am

Yvain? When I'm coming back - get your lazy butt back to Rappelz and keep your head-set in reach. I won't accept any lame-ass excuse like "Luna was too cute to play Rappelz for a -welcome-back-hour"!

:-* Toothy ^^
Back to top Go down
Bezildor
Loves Belle
Loves Belle
Bezildor

PostSubject: Re: Luna Online . . . first impressions   Luna Online . . . first impressions EmptyTue Jun 23, 2009 4:19 am

did you find a date yet yvain? thats the only reason i can see for playing luna over flyff Razz
Back to top Go down
Belletrice
Loves Bez
Belletrice

Character Sheet
PvP Rating:
Luna Online . . . first impressions Left_bar_bleue1/1Luna Online . . . first impressions Empty_bar_bleue  (1/1)

PostSubject: Re: Luna Online . . . first impressions   Luna Online . . . first impressions EmptyTue Jun 23, 2009 6:39 am

you can kiss hug dance in perfect world too without having a bunny punch =o
Back to top Go down
LightRayne
fail
fail

Character Sheet
Level:
Class: Rogue Rogue
PvP Rating:

PostSubject: Re: Luna Online . . . first impressions   Luna Online . . . first impressions EmptyTue Jun 23, 2009 6:43 am

isn't there a noise in perfect world like when a female stretch's or gets up or something that sounds really rude?
Back to top Go down
HeavenHealer
fail
fail

Character Sheet
PvP Rating:

PostSubject: Re: Luna Online . . . first impressions   Luna Online . . . first impressions EmptyTue Jun 23, 2009 11:24 am

Bezildor wrote:
did you find a date yet yvain? thats the only reason i can see for playing luna over flyff Razz

lol!

yvain you should try the date system Razz

and belle whats wrong with cute games? its still a serious game mmo wise, you get a skill tree and a whole stat build and whatnot

PW .. i tried to play that back then, i really hated it, if you guys like it..sure hf with that, i just couldnt get past the bad graphics and i got bored after 30 mins of playing
Back to top Go down
Belletrice
Loves Bez
Belletrice

Character Sheet
PvP Rating:

PostSubject: Re: Luna Online . . . first impressions   Luna Online . . . first impressions EmptyTue Jun 23, 2009 11:33 am

well the reason i play rappelz is for the realistic characthers and world, same for pw, aion, silkroad, but i guess it's taste. 2 years ago i might've went "OMG KAWAIIII!" for that game, now i think it's one of those games where pedos hide in a corner and try to get you o_o *trauma*

plus pw isn't that good but doesn't bunny punch me that much XD and bez don't be mean to yvain..
Back to top Go down
ChibiBobo
OMG BUNNIES
OMG BUNNIES

Character Sheet
Level:
Class: Soul Breeder Soul Breeder
PvP Rating:
Luna Online . . . first impressions Left_bar_bleue1/300Luna Online . . . first impressions Empty_bar_bleue  (1/300)

PostSubject: Re: Luna Online . . . first impressions   Luna Online . . . first impressions EmptyWed Jun 24, 2009 10:16 am

Belletrice wrote:

BUNNY????? D: D: D: D: D:
Back to top Go down
LightRayne
fail
fail

Character Sheet
Level:
Class: Rogue Rogue
PvP Rating:

PostSubject: Re: Luna Online . . . first impressions   Luna Online . . . first impressions EmptyWed Jun 24, 2009 10:47 am

ChibiBobo wrote:
Belletrice wrote:

punch bunny
Back to top Go down
Antje
Battle Hunas Pwn You
Battle Hunas Pwn You
Antje

PostSubject: Re: Luna Online . . . first impressions   Luna Online . . . first impressions EmptyWed Jun 24, 2009 11:39 am

Meh, I think Luna is a lot more fun than it looks
Back to top Go down
HeavenHealer
fail
fail

Character Sheet
PvP Rating:

PostSubject: Re: Luna Online . . . first impressions   Luna Online . . . first impressions EmptyWed Jun 24, 2009 12:15 pm

Belletrice wrote:
well the reason i play rappelz is for the realistic characthers and world, same for pw, aion, silkroad, but i guess it's taste. 2 years ago i might've went "OMG KAWAIIII!" for that game, now i think it's one of those games where pedos hide in a corner and try to get you o_o *trauma*

plus pw isn't that good but doesn't bunny punch me that much XD and bez don't be mean to yvain..

i like the realistic chars too, Luna has a creep effect to it since youre bascially running around looking like a kid with armor and weapons but thats why the whole game is based on that, like..
you dont see a cute little kid running around with some big scary axe, or sword, my staff is pink and has a heart and star on it Shocked so i guess that counts for bunny punch

annette's right, it looks all "too cute" and not that "fighty" at first but its really not that bad

ChibiBobo wrote:
Belletrice wrote:

lol! yay its chibi
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Luna Online . . . first impressions   Luna Online . . . first impressions Empty

Back to top Go down

Luna Online . . . first impressions
Page 1 of 1